Friday, April 19, 2013

~My Mother Language~

I am a mixed blood.
My dad is Chinese and my mom is Bidayuh (indigenous in Sarawak).

Although Bidayuh is a race in Sarawak but Bidayuh people speak different Bidayuh language.
The language is differ according to where we from.
My family, we are from Bau, Jagoi, so we speak Bidayuh Jagoi language.

There many other Bidayuh language, such as:
  • Bidayuh Bau, Jagoi
  • Bidayuh Bau, Krokong
  • Bidayuh Bau, Singgai
  • Bidayuh Bau, Gumbang
  • Bidayuh Bau, Tringgus
  • Bidayuh Serian ( There are also like Bidayuh Bau where there are many different language that they speak)
  • Bidayuh Padawan ( There are also like Bidayuh Bau where there are many different language that they speak)
  • ...
That are the one that I know, probably there are more that I don't know. 

Although I am from Bidayuh Bau Jagoi, I can also speak good Bidayuh Bau Singgai.
Some of the words are the same, some are not and the dialect is different.
I can also understand a little bit of Bidayuh Serian language since I have friends from there.
The words are totally different.

Bidayuh is a race with so many culture.
But after many of us receive Christian as our religious, 
some of the culture also slowly gone with our ancestor.
But I still can see some of them when I am at the very young age.

The celebration of Gawai Dayak.
Gawai Dayak is a ceremony where the villager praise the 'Paddy God' for the good harvest that they gain for that year.
The true ceremony involve some spiritual 'things'.
But now we can still watch the ceremony which is kind of 'play back' without the actual spiritual part.
(Actually I want to share some of the real ceremony image but I lost them...Huhuhu...)

This is the traditional cloth that women wear if they are involve in the ceremony.

The ceremony is actually kind of spooky.
(At least that was how I felt when I watch the ceremony when I was young)
But now I am kind of miss it, since it is my family, my race culture and the young generation probably won't see or know about it anymore.

There are actually many things about Bidayuh.
But this is all that I can remember now.
So later...

Actually I can speak good Mandarin too since my dad is Chinese.
And I also love Chinese culture. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment